SQUADRUN is very proudly the affiliated coaching partner for the 2017 Ultra-trail Australia.
What does this mean?
This means the event directors value our deep knowledge and understanding of the Ultra-trail Australia events and what it takes to help entrants complete the event and achieve their goals. The Event Directors, Tom and Alina, want to see you succeed and to give you the very best chance of doing this they recognize the importance of having a structured training approach coupled with a deep supportive network.
What is SQUADRUN?
SQUADRUN is a platform for delivering high quality training information for low cost while developing a community to help guide and motivate you on your journey to the start line of any race in Australasia. A weekly training plan written with intensities specific to you designed to deliver the right training for your Ultra-trail Australia event. It’s not just that though, it’s so much more than a programme. It’s Australasia’s largest coach-lead running community. It’s a massive network of runners across Asia-Pacific sharing their training journey. Ali and Kerry pride themselves on being some of the most contactable and supportive running coaches in the business. Coupled with our support you’ll enjoy benefits from numerous affiliated partners as well discounts, deals, training camps, group runs, and much much more
I’m already a member of another club/group
SQUADRUN is most certainly NOT an exclusive club or group. The last thing we want to do is force people to only wear jet-planes and feel that they can no longer mingle with everyone else out there. We actively encourage people to participate in their recreational pastime in any way they choose. Wear your local trail running cap one day and a SQUADRUN bandana the next. Make use of all available resources and offers that will help foster and develop your training or love for the sport. If another coach has a training camp that you want to attend – GO! If you see us at an event COME SAY HI! We’re inclusive, we’re fun and we’ll welcome anyone of any ability. There could be nothing worse for the Trail Running community than exclusive little fragmented groups. Let’s break down those barriers and share the trails with love and respect!
Where is SQUADRUN?
Everywhere! Your training plan is delivered online and we support you remotely however we travel frequently and as your coaches it’s is likely that we will get some ‘quality’ time together before you toe the line in mid-May 2017. You’re never alone with the SQUADRUN family and fellow squaddies number in the hundreds across Australasia. It’s almost certain that you’ll have local hook-ups to share your training journey and we’ll gladly facilitate groups runs in your area.
You entered an Ultramarathon, you want to make sure you’re going to finish it. At Ultra trail Australia 2016 SQUADRUN celebrated a 97% completion rate in a race that typically sees a 20-30% drop rate. SQUADRUN athletes are up to 10 times more likely to complete their chosen event than the rest of the field.
We’ll actually be there when you finish. We’re yet to see any other coaches commit to a 27hr stint on the start and finish line. We genuinely will be there for you! No SQUADRUN athlete gets left behind! Get coached by SQUADRUN and receive 50% more finish line hugs!
With so many SQUADRUN runners and walkers in the event you can guarantee you’ll get a massive amount of shout-outs and support on your journey towards the finish line. Expect a special kind of care and support from fellow ‘squaddies’ on race day. Be part of the family and feel the SQUAD-love!
Who is this for? – “Real people, Extraordinary Goals”
Literally EVERYONE. We typically say we’re the 85% of the field that excludes those special few shiny diamonds that take their stuff so seriously they’re willing to pay 5-times-as-much for a premium 1-on-1 coaching service. SQUADRUN is the every-day athlete. We’re the walkers, we’re everyone from the tail end through the bottom corner of the podium. The ‘average’ SQUADRUN athlete is a 42 year old, 72kg mum but the shelf is long and the bookends are far far apart. You’re not too slow, you won’t be the slowest and you’ll never hold us up.
Will the Train to Ultra-trail Australia Plans work for me?
No. You need to work for you. Regardless of how much you pay a coach (or don’t pay a coach) it’s ultimately YOU that has to ‘lace up’ and do the training. We won’t be there to push you out the door or to watch you while you do it. We’ll try to keep an eye on you to ensure you’re getting along ok (Strava) and remain at your disposal should you need to contact us at any time for help and support but ultimately it’s YOU that must do the training.
This said, if you can commit to regular and consistent training on one of the “Train to UTA” plans you will see very real and significant success. Our retention is incredibly high and indicative that the service we provide is effective and represents outstanding value for money.
Who this won’t work for
“Train to UTA” won’t work for people that don’t actually want to do the training.
Don’t sign up for an Ultramarathon if you don’t want to do an Ultramarathon and don’t get coaching if you don’t want to run, or walk, this event. It would be a mistake for us to tell you that you need to get coached by us. There is a discipline component to training but moreover there must be a fundamental desire to do it. Tell us you want to be coached and seek us for the training programme. We’re ready to support and encourage those who are motivated to run.
Three Generations of SQUADRUN athletes
Facebook – We.Are.Family…
It’s hard to describe the online Facebook community and it’d be interesting to hear how it would describe itself. It’s an incredible, motivational, supportive juggernaut of running advice, fun personalities, and caring beautiful humans. It’s hundreds of real people celebrating their passion for the sport. The real value of this Facebook group can’t really be measured but a fair comment would be “you came for the training plan but you stayed for the community”
Of course interaction on Facebook is entirely optional and we have many of our athletes that merely watch and read information and advice shared there. If you don’t like Facebook and prefer complete autonomy, that is fine also however it is essential you maintain contact with Ali and Kerry for any help or support you require.
Start when you want to
Entered UTA but not ready to kick off you’re running just yet? Don’t worry. Kick-off your training when you choose. Our advice is always to begin chipping away at the kms as early as possible but we appreciate you might want to give it a bit until you’re ready to seriously commit to your training. Let us know when you want to get going and we’ll be there to help you on your way.
How it works
It’s COMPLICATED! Your biggest initial challenge will be understanding the training plan and how to apply it to yourself. If you remember nothing else, remember this – Read the FAQs and take your time coming to terms with how the programme works.
It is a ‘priority based‘ training plan, YOU can work into your busy life. It is explained clearly in the FAQs. It really is.
Where was that you say? The FAQs! Must I link a fourth time?
Ali and Kerry will help you get started and provide the info you need to piece together your programme. The important thing is that if you need help or support, please contact us! Coaching is a two way street and we are more than happy to help you out, just ask!
Your Priorities matter to us
In all likelihood running isn’t the only thing going on in your life and we appreciate that you probably place family and work ahead of your training. GOOD. No sane person would do otherwise. So what is your running to you? It’s the fun thing you do in your spare time and you choose to do it because it’s FUN. So let’s keep it that way!
We have only 3 rules at SQUADRUN:
- No Injuries – you can’t do much if you’re broken. Let’s avoid this at all costs. Let our deep and talented team of affiliated professionals support you in your training and ensure you are in doing the thing right.
- HAVE FUN! – That’s why you do it in the first place. Let the hilarious and community of mad squaddies keep your spirits high and join them for regular Facebook shenanigans
- Run. – It’d be great if you could get some training in at some stage…
How SQUADRUN is different?
- Start-up / Joining fee – SQUADRUN charges no fee for joining. Most other coaches will sting you in the vicinity of $150 for your initial consultation. It’s as though they don’t even want you there…
- Cost – Most coaches charge $45-$50 per week. SQUADRUN ‘Train to Target’ is typically a quarter of that. When was the last time you saw a 75% discount on anything?
- Twice as much coach! – You get Ali AND Kerry. Elsewhere you’ll only have the support of one person, whereas SQUADRUN can give you twice the support!
- Your training matters more than ours – Sure we run but unlike any coaches you can think of we don’t put our athletic endeavors ahead of yours. It may seem like a good idea to be coached by Mr/Mrs awesome trail champion but just where do you think you’ll sit on their personal list of priorities? Likely its somewhere below their own training and racing pursuits.
- Actually there for you – Spend 24hrs at the finish line of any of Australasia’s three major trail races and you’ll see more of Ali and Kerry than you will of any other coach or all other coaches combined. Where are they?
- Contact and Support – Coaching is what we do and because SQUADRUN is so massive chances are Ali and Kerry will be online when you are. Whether it be 7am or 11pm chances are we’ll answer your question within moments. There is no ‘next-day’ turn around. Expect 7 day a week support from us and 365 day a year support from our massive community. At some stage we might take a day off, if we do, we’ll be sure to let you know about it in advance.
Exclusive backstage pass
As a SQUADRUN member not only are you part of the ‘cool kids club’ but you’ll also enjoy preferential treatment with benefits others won’t enjoy. I can’t exactly shorten the course for you but I can make your finish line a little better. Expect an exclusive ‘members-only’ marque for you and your supporters right on the finish line.
We know UTA like few others and our mainline to the Race Directors means we have all the current and up-to-date info at any time you require it. We also have the local knowledge on where to stay and what to do while you’re in town.
If you’re from out of town or overseas being part of the team makes even more sense!
Big is good!
The SQUADRUN group discounts and special offers:
- 15% off online and instore at Find your Feet plus free Nationwide shipping for purchased over $100
- 15% off Big Run Events (Sydney Trail Series, Anzac Day Challenge etc)
- Discounts at 2773 Cafe Glenbrook (buy a main, get a drink for free)
- Unlimited access to your coaches*
- MORE TO COME!
*unlimited access is offered on a ‘be-cool’ basis. I’ll be helping a LOT of people so please be reasonable and considerate of my time. 🙂